Shigehara-jin'ya was the centre of the Shigehara sub-domain, a far-flung exclave of Fukushima Domain, established in 1792 by the Itakura Clan. The Itakura Clan had been petitioning the Shogunate for more territory following the devestation of their domain by a major famine in 1783. Following the Kansei Revolt of 1790, centred on Kariya Domain, Kariya Domain had to exchange territory with Fukushima Domain in Mutsu Province. As a result, Kariya lost eighteen villages, including Shigehara as well as Noda and Hanjōdo, valued in total at over 10,000 koku, to Fukushima Domain. To govern its new assets in Mikawa Province, Shigehara-jin'ya was established by Fukushima Domain.
In 1868, Itakura Katsusato supported the Tokugawa loyalists during the Boshin War. When he was defeated by the Imperialists, his holdings were confiscated. From 1869, Shigehara-jin'ya served as the seat of a new domain, the Shigehara Domain, encompassing around 150 villages in Mikawa Domain, valued in total at over 28,000 koku. But this new domain was abolished along with the feudal system in 1871.
The site of Shigehara-jin'ya is located in the Shigehara neighbourhood of Kariya City (that is, Shigeharahonmachi, not 'Upper Shigehara' in Chiryū City). The site of the jin'ya is now that of a temple called Jōfukuji, and no ruins remain on-site. There is a stone marker, reading '重原陣屋跡', outside of the temple. Across from the temple is a community hall built in a pseudo-traditionalist style. The jin'ya site is on a terrace of the Sawatari River. Some original structures have been relocated from the jin'ya site to a couple of temples. These are the genkan (entrance parlour) at Jūōji, and a gate which is now used as the sanmon (main gate) at Gangyōji, which I visited after the jin'ya site. Both temples are Hanjōdo Township, an area of cluttered homesteads and old temples on the east side of the Sawatari River.
|No main keep but other buildings
|has Important Cultural Properties, Local Historic Site
|Genkan (relocated), Gate (relocated)
|Shigehara Station on the Meitetsu-Mikawa Line; 15 minute walk
|24/7 free; temple
|Kariya, Aichi Prefecture
|34° 59' 20.76" N, 137° 1' 11.03" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited
|Friends of JCastle