Ohmiya Castle (Suruga)
Ômiyajō was originally the residence of the chief priest of Ômiya Grand Shrine. In 1561 it was taken over (or indeed constructed at that time) by Fuji Nobutada on the orders of Imagawa Ujimasa. In 1568 Takeda Shingen invaded Suruga from Kai, and Ômiyajō was captured by Takeda forces. During the reign of Takeda Katsuyori the castellans of Ômiyajō were the Watanabe Clan, vassals of the Takeda. With the fall of the Takeda in 1582, the Hōjō attacked and destroyed Ômiyajō.
Ômiyajō is located adjacent to Ômiya-taisha in a neighbourhood called Motoshiro, which basically means ‘castle site’. No ruins remain above ground, though excavations in the past unearthed a 10m wide moat, as well as the remains of earthen ramparts, wells and buildings.
|English Name||Suruga Ohmiya Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Fujinomiya Station on the Minobu Line; 13 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; shrine|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Fujinomiya, Shizuoka Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 13' 38.10" N, 138° 36' 42.77" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2023|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|
Enable comment auto-refresher