The Suzaki-daiba in Fukuoka was built in 1863 as a deterrent to Anlo-European encroachment into Japanese territory. Daiba is the Japanese word for coastal artillery emplacements. If not imported it's possible that the cannon were provided by neighbouring Saga Domain as they had become adept at their manufacture. Unlike castles like Fukuokajō which essentially stopped functioning as castles - although may have hosted Imperial garrisons, Daiba continued to be used into the Meiji Period. The Suzaki-daiba was in place up until 1890. 15 guns were manned here.
There's not much at the site today, which is now a park, and no longer on the sea, following land reclamation, but there remains ishigaki (stone-piled ramparts), cut and piled in the traditional way, and dorui (earthen embankments) in one corner.
|English Name||Suzaki Battery|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Local Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Access||Tenjin Station on the Fukuoka Subway; 10 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free|
|Time Required||30 minutes|
|Location||Fukuoka, Fukuoka Prefecture|
|Coordinates||33° 35' 52.76" N, 130° 23' 53.56" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2020|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
Enable comment auto-refresher