Takanashi-yakata was built by the Takanashi Clan as their main base in the Kamakura Period. The Takanashi Clan, a powerful clan in the Hokushin area of Shinano, were feudal warriors who fought in the area up until the end of the Sengoku Period. Uesugi Kenshin ordered Takanashi Masayori to help fortify Iiyamajō, but Takeda Shingen cut off his supply lines. Many warriors, including the Kojima Clan, deserted, and Northern Shinano was left to only the Takanashi and Shimazu clans to defend. Takanashi-yakata and its surrounding fortifications in the mountains were attacked in 1556 during the campaign against Iiyamajō, and then later in 1559 by Kōsaka Tadamasa who attacked when Uesugi Kenshin was "out of town" in Kyōto (according to my reading Kenshin tried to keep his route to Kyōto clear but was kept busy at home by revolts inspired by Takeda Shingen). Shingen eventually took over the area and installed the Kojima as castellans. Some time later, after the death of Takeda Katsuyori, the Takanashi Clan regained their old homeland but were soon relocated to Aizu along with the Uesugi Clan in 1598. At that time Takanashi-yakata, Kamogatakejō and other surrounding castles were abandoned.
The yakata measures 130m east to west, and 100m north to south in a square layout. It was constructed with impressive earthen ramparts in three stages, according to archaelogical findings; a medieval landscape garden was also unearthed. The site was developed as a historical park from 1986.
Takanashi-yakata is essentially a Sengoku Period flatland castle, retaining a simple square layout indicative of its chiefly residential function; the karabori (dry moats) and dorui (earthen ramparts) are well preserved and impressive. There is residual stonework and a reconstructed bridge. The site is very well maintained as a historical park. Mountains loom beyond on which the Takanashi Clan built several fortresses.
|Kamakura Period, Sengoku Period
|Prefectural Historic Site
|Pre Edo Period
|Dorui, Karabori, Bridges, Ishigaki
|trenches, stone walls
|Shinshuu-Nakano Station on the Shinano Line; 15 minute walk
|Free; 24/7; Park
|Nakano, Nagano Prefecture
|36° 44' 39.23" N, 138° 22' 34.68" E
|Added to Jcastle
|Admin Year Visited