Toba Castle was founded in 1594 by Kuki Yoshitaka, a retainer of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. The Kuki clan ruled for three generations until 1633. After the Kuki, Naito Tadashige became lord of the castle and expanded the grounds by adding a second and third bailey. In 1854, the castle was heavily damaged in an earthquake and tsunami. It was not repaired and was abandoned in 1871.
The grounds are currently occupied by government buildings and a preschool. Nearby is the Toba Acquarium.
|English Name||Toba Castle|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Designations||Prefectural Historic Site|
|Historical Period||Edo Period|
|Access||Toba Sta. (Kintetsu Toba Line, Shima Line; JR Sanguu Line); 10 min. walk|
|Location||Toba, Mie Prefecture|
|Coordinates||34° 28' 51.13" N, 136° 50' 40.38" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2010|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Admin Visits||Viewer Donated|