Tsurugawa-yakata is thought to have been the original main residence of the Katō Clan in Tsuru, pre-dating Uenoharajō. That would mean it was probably constructed in the Kamakura period when the Katō took over territory here from 1213 following Wada Yoshimori’s rebellion, displacing the Furugôri Clan. The fortified manor hall site sat on a cliff overlooking the village of Tsurugawa. The Katō Clan aligned with Nagao Kageharu (the Nagao Clan would become the Uesugi Clan) in the 15th century. This led Ôta Dōkan to attack the Katō, and the village and manor hall were burnt down in 1478.
Tsurugawa-yakata is a medieval fortified manor hall site. No ruins remain. A shukuba (post town) developed here in the Edo period, and the yakata site is now that of a shrine and fields above Tsurugawa-juku. There is also a small kofun (ancient burial mound).
|English Name||Tsurugawa Yakata|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||The nearest station is Uenohara Station on the Chūō Main Line; it’s possible to reach Tsurugawa-juku in about 40 minutes on foot by following the Old Kōshū Road.|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; shrine|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Uenohara, Yamanashi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 38' 1.97" N, 139° 6' 6.48" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2023|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|
Enable comment auto-refresher