The first yakata (medieval fortified manor hall) built here was by Furugôri Tadashige (originally of the Yokohama Clan, one of the seven clans of Musashi) in the Heian period. His descendants ruled for three generations but, under the lordship of Furugôri Yasutada, were destroyed during Wada Yoshimori's rebellion in 1213. Yasutada had supported the Wada because the Yokoyama and they had intermarried. But, having lost the war, Yasutada was compelled to commit seppuku.
Katō Kagenaga, a vassal of the Kai-Takeda, took over the territory and built Tsurugawa-yakata to the north. In 1478, however, during the rebellion of Nagao Kageharu, Ôta Dōkan attacked the Katō and destroyed the Tsurugawa-yakata. The Katō built a new yakata on the former site of the Furugôri Clan compound which came to be known as Naijō-yakata or Naigyokan, meaning 'inner castle hall', due to it being protected by surrounding mountaintop forts surrounding the valley. The inner castle itself was protected by moats and the high river terrace it stood on.
In the Sengoku period, Katō Kagetada, a vassal of the Oyamada Clan (Iwadono Castle), fought against the Hōjō Clan in their wars with Takeda Shingen. The third son of Katsunuma Nobumoto, Nobukage, of a branch of the Takeda, was adopted into the Katō family and became its patriarch when Kagetada was killed at the battle of Nagashino (1575), bringing the clan firmly into the ranks of the Takeda. When Kai was invaded by a coalition of forces and Takeda Katsuyori was forced into his fatal retreat, Katō Nobukage attempted to come to his rescue - it is said, but was cut-off at Hakoneǵasaki in Musashi by Hōjō Ujimasa and slain. Uenoharanaijō-yakata was abandoned in 1582.
Uenoharajō, also called Naijō-yakata (so that I started calling it Uenoharanaijō(-yakata)), is a hirayamajiro (flatland and elevation castle) and yakata (fortified manor hall) site, but all traces of fortifications have been completely obliterated by the development of the modern downtown of Uenohara Municipality. The Chūō Expressway is the chief culprit in the destruction, as it ploughs through what was once the castle's main (and only) bailey, but northern portions of the surrounding moat have also been filled in, so that now nothing remains. To visit this site it is customary to go to a small Inari shrine in the neighbourhood, where there is an explanatory board with information about the yakata along with a map.
|English Name||Uenohara Castle|
|Founder||Furugôri Tadashige; Katō Kagenaga|
|Year Founded||Late Heian Period; 1478|
|Castle Type||Fortified Manor|
|Castle Condition||Ruins only|
|Historical Period||Pre Edo Period|
|Access||Uenohara Station on the Chūō East Line; 12 minute walk|
|Visitor Information||24/7 free; shrine|
|Time Required||10 minutes|
|Location||Uenohara, Yamanashi Prefecture|
|Coordinates||35° 37' 25.86" N, 139° 6' 32.94" E|
|Added to Jcastle||2023|
|Admin Year Visited||Viewer Contributed|
|Friends of JCastle|
Enable comment auto-refresher